Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 1: Long, Hot, Hilly - 116 Miles


Day 1: 116 Miles
Weight Watchers Points earned: 89

Day 1 for me (day 5 for many of the others).  It was a long, hot, hilly day in the Carolinas.  We rode 116 miles through the piedmont region of NC and it was a pretty nostalgic day.  We left Lumberton NC at 6:30AM and rolled into Benson around 5:30PM.  This is a great ride team and there is no shortage of pace going around!  I cannot complain about anything... because well, these guys have been already on the bike for 4 days :) - there was this "chatty Kathy" though...

We started the day out flying!  We averaged almost 19 miles per hour on the way to Fayetteville.  Our first stop in St.Paul I had my picture taken with Hailey (the bulldog) our ride mascot.   That was early in the day... little did I know we still had 100 miles to go.

About 30 miles into the ride we arrived in Fayetteville.  It has changed a good bit since I left in 1994.  I enjoyed the stroll down memory lane however, Bragg Blvd isnt the best part of Fayettenam.

After coming in on Hay Street we stopped on Bragg Blvd at a BP Station where I got to see the Costanzo/Manley family... and my extended family.  Bella gave me a huge hug which made my day! Always a special treat to be visited by friends on the way.  The only thing that would have made the day better is to eat some of Mrs. Costanzo's pasta and share a bourbon with Mr. Costanzo.  Next trip. 

Dan, Bella, Mrs. Constanzo, Christine, Me, & Mr. Costanzo
Bragg Blvd left a lot to be desired and even more disappointing was the barren lot that was Putt Putt Golf and Games where I spent Saturday as a child.  The rolling hills started in Fayetteville, thru Fort Bragg, and continued throughout the day.  We did pass by the Fort Bragg Fair which was always a great time in my childhood.

On our way to Sanford, we lost a rider.  He was riding hard and just a common mistake and he was down.  Juan was transported by Ambulance and it appears as though he's just really banged up and gets to enjoy some Vicodin for the rest of the trip.

The wife of Patrol Officer Eli Colonroche - Sanford PD
In Sanford we were greeted by the Sanford PD, the wife of the late Officer Eli Colonroche, and NC COPS for lunch and some fellowship.  She's one of the many reasons we do this ride.  Our sacrifice on this ride is minimal to the sacrifice her husband paid to keep the citizens of his community safe.

After lunch we headed back east to Benson passing through Lillington and then, of all places the Campbell University campus on the way.  Campbell University just happens to be the first college I attended back in 1991... while it was short-lived I did meet some great people there.

Day 1 is in the books.  Cinco de Mayo was celebrated with fajitas and a couple of Modelos with my room mate Jimmy.  Now... time for bed, wheels rolling at 620AM.  Tomorrow we have 125 miles to ride to Rocky Mount.  Here's to a day where everyone arrives at the hotel safely.






No comments:

Post a Comment