Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 4: And we are rolling.... sore... but rolling

Day 4: 88 Miles
Total: 450.5 Miles
Weight Watchers Points earned: 80

The last day of the long ride and as warned we'd be traveling a bit quicker and with fewer stops.  I started the day out cranky and sore.  I thought my saddle would be the death of me... Day 3 was emotionally draining and day 4 was physically taxing.... again keeping in perspective this LEU ride team has been doing this for 4-6 days before me so my pain was minimal to what they could be feeling.

Pre-ride we discussed the life of Detective Vicky Armel of the Fairfax County Police Department, Virginia.  It's interesting to get the perspective of grief from the "co-worker survivors" who are at times overlooked in the healing process.  These guys not only ride because they want to pay tribute to "all officers" but most of them have been touched by one of those officers.  This ride is healing for them as well.

The morning started with a quick ride to Elizabeth City, NC.  We were moving quick and longer distances so the break was much needed and WELCOME... <still cranky and sore>

We were back on the bikes to get in place for the Knott's Island Ferry before 11:00.  Again, these guys were pushing my physical limits but I hung in there with them.  We arrived around 10:00 to the Chesapeake Police Department at the landing with Pork BBQ, Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Cupcakes, and more.  Last time I did this ride, we enjoyed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and while I was looking forward to it... I do prefer BBQ.  It was SO good and not particularly "Weight Watcher Friendly" but that didnt stop me... plus this week... I can burn it.  It was nice to have a long break waiting for the Ferry and the on the Ferry crossing the sound.  Already we'd completed half of our day with over 40 miles on the bike.

Coming off the Ferry we crossed a lot of coastal marshes where the winds were a tough fight.  Arriving to the Virginia State Line was a welcome site.  It was great to finally get to VA... but even more so leaving NC (warning: political commentary) after the results of their voting in favor of same-sex marriage ban.


It was just a quick stop but we were scheduled to stop at one of the VA Beach fire stations fairly close to the state line.  This would be our last stop before we'd turn it up a notch... WHAT???  I made sure to grab Rick Crittenden at the fire station for a photo op.  Rick was the other survivor riding on the FLETC ride (in memory of his father Richard Scott Crittenden, Sr. of the North St. Paul Police Department, Minnesota).  I learned that he too needs to be warned when a bag pipe is around. He's a great guy and rides with a lot of pride!  It was great to have another survivor riding with us this year and he was a beast on the bike.


We grinded out 18-22 mph speeds to the Chesapeake Police Department where we'd stop for our last Fallen Officer tribute... Apparently some of us had extra in the tank :)  We arrived in Va Beach for another service this time, we recognized two of our own as the surviving friends and co-workers.  We received a welcome visit from Krista Williamson who was a huge help on previous rides and on of the reasons that the Police Unity Tour is successful each year.   While I'm not riding with that organization, there are people that I will miss.

The end was in site!  We were 7 miles from the Marriott, which is were we stop, enjoy a day off the bike, and get ready for the next ride.  I'm surprised that I didnt have bugs in my teeth because I couldn't stop smiling... smiling that we were almost at the hotel, smiling that I never hopped in a support vehicle (because I sure did think about it), smiling because of the pride I felt being a part of this team, smiling because I didn't have to ride a bicycle tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment