Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 5: Day off


Team Minnesota with a southerner


Wednesday was a great day... a day off before starting the Law Enforcement United Ride (the other was technically called the FLETC ride).  I was looking forward to sleeping in and based on the past few days of 5:15AM mornings, sleeping until 6:30AM was sleeping in.


After 3 100+ mile days and an 88 mile day I was looking forward to having some quiet time to just chill and let my give my body a much needed break.  I enjoyied a good cup of coffee (I travel with a french press) and I spent a good bit of the morning on the computer and repacking.

Lunch was served to the LEU riders at noon and it was a mob scene.  I wasnt feeling the crowd so I grabbed a plate of food and continued my day as a recluse.  I had some time to reflect on the past few days on the bike....

Me & Judy
Me & Denny
Me & Rich "Dirty Brooklyn
The FLETC ride is easily the most challenging thing I have put my body (and mind) through.  While it was a lot of fun... it was a LOT of work.  The ride team was just awesome.  The caliber of athlete matched the quality of person that each one was.  I may spend a good bit of time bragging about them in my blogs but it's because they helped me achieve such a task (including our support team of Melissa, Judy and Denny).  People don't realize what goes into making us a successful ride team... the route planning, purchasing our snacks, arranging our routes, working with police departments, travel arrangements, etc... oh and there's the riders too!  Rich Gallow is the ride organizer who is volunteers his time and responsible for getting the resources organized and ensuring the ride's success... and for another year, delivers.  TRULY AN HONOR TO RIDE WITH THESE MEN & WOMEN and humbled by the experience.... Even better... amazed that I was able to keep up with them.  I'd name off the all of the names but I'm afraid I'd leave one out... each of my team members had truly made my life better in different ways.

As the day progressed, I eventually left the room for more than checking the laundry.  It was check-in day for the LEU ride and they also had a briefing for the much larger group of 300ish riders to ride to the capital in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment