Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 3: Proud, Emotional, Windy but great riding conditions


Day 3: 122 Miles
Total: 362.5 Miles
Weight Watchers Points earned: 100

Where to start with the day... so much happened, I guess we'll go "blow-by-blow" like previous days.  Wheels rolling at 6:20 from Rocky Mount down 64 and 20(ish) miles over to Tarboro, NC Sheriffs Office and Detention center.  We actually rolled in as they were putting up the flag and someone played the national anthem on their speakers.... was a nice way to start the day.

The stretch between Tarboro and Bethel was tough - the distance wasn't bad though.  Between the pride that I had to be riding with the FLETC (LEU) team and memories of Jason I shed a few tears but pulled it back together.  Riding in a pace line you have to really pay attention to the riders around you... and tears don't help that.


Leaving Tarboro (33ish miles down) we headed to Greenville.  Things were going pretty well when Rich (ride organizer) told me that I'd be leading (pulling) the the group into Greenville.  I asked for a few of my teammates to be able to join me: Ellen Pierson, Jim Conrad, and Jimmy Kingman.  Ellen and I led the group in and apparently tears make me ride faster - about the time I asked Ellen how my speed was they were calling for me to slow down.

We rode down Green Street (where Jason's accident occured) on the way to the Police Department.  It's weird to say that I rode my bicycle all of those miles and it included the place where my brother took his last breath.  I rode into the PD a crying mess but was able to get it together... some.  Mom, Chantel, and Miss Ashely were at the PD as were many of Jason's friends and co-workers.

The Police Department did a great job... to include the Sheriffs Department and the Greenville Pipes & Drums.  They did a short ceremony and dedicated the Impact Role Call Room to Jason and had a nice framed picture of Jason.  I had the opportunity to thank my team for their efforts and sacrifice for this ride and even more thankful and proud to be a part of the team and ride with so many great people.  There were lots of tears, even more pride, and the team stepped up when I needed them.  Did I mention that I am riding with a GREAT team?  No lie.


Leaving Greenville we had a long stretch of riding on the way to Martin County to meet with their Department and see my friend and survivor Cindy Brown.  I initially met Cindy two years ago on this ride when I rode in memory of her late husband Deputy Sheriff Charles Douglas "Charlie" Brown, Jr.. It's always good to reunite to with survivors to see how they are progressing in their healing process.

Next stop, the beautiful town of Edenton, NC and as always they really took care of us like a good southern community... with food... and good food.  We were greeted by the Edenton PD, the Chowan County Sheriff's Department, and the mother of Deputy Sheriff Richard Edward Ashley, Sr.   For dinner, they served us BBQ, BBQ  chicken, cole slaw, and cake.  Every year they really bring their "A" game to welcoming us.  After filling our stomachs and some catching up it was time to hop on the bikes and head to the Hampton Inn.

The day wrapped up with a letter from Mom.  She asked that I read a letter that she wrote to the ride team and to please do it when she wasnt there.  I will post the details, it was very heart felt and sweet.  Quick and dirty:  Thanks LEU for all you do, keep remembering,  I pray for your safety, and Thank you for helping Joshua heal.  It was a nice way to finish off the day.

Again, I'll post the letter when I get it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment